The Innovation Summit
“Understanding the Three Keys to Forming and Launching a High-Tech Startup”
Thursday, April 3, 2014
Anderson Abruzzo International Balloon Museum
Albuquerque, New Mexico
7:30 a.m.--2:00 p.m.
General Admission Registration rates:
$25.00 per person includes breakfast, three high-level workshops, and networking break
$50.00 per person includes breakfast, three high-level workshops, networking break, and luncheon featuring New Mexico Small Business Assistance Innovation Celebration Awards
Presented by: Technology Ventures Corporation, Celebrating 21 Years of Fostering Ideas, Talent, Capital and Community
TVC's Innovation Summit targets entrepreneurs thinking about or in the process of starting or expanding a high-tech business. Information will be offered on business processes that entrepreneurs will need to understand before forming a business and seeking financing.
7:30--8:30 a.m. Registration, Breakfast, and Interactive Technology Commercialization Booth Displays by Community Partners
8:30--9:00 a.m. Welcoming Remarks
Identifying Technologies to Commercialize
· Searching for technical solutions at our national labs and research universities
o Tools to assist in your search, such as techwhiteboard.com and uspto.gov
· The process of working with these institutions and their tech transfer offices to vet the technologies and gain legal access
Establishing an Intellectual Property Position
· Prior Art Searches
· Filing Applications
· Do patents cover what you will sell?
· IP Landscape and Competitors
· Do patents give you an advantage over competitors?
· Freedom to Practice
· Patent Enforcement
11:00 a.m.—11:30 a.m. Networking Break and Interactive Booth Displays by Community Partners
11:30 a.m.—12:30 p.m.
Surveying the Marketplace
Mapping Technology to the Marketplace
· Key Questions Entrepreneurs Must Ask in Forming a Go-to-Market Plan
Quantitative ways in which an entrepreneur can make judgments about:
· Industry and Market Issues
o Market structure
o Market size
o Growth rate
o Market share attainable
o Cost structure
· · Competitive Advantage Issues
· · Economic and Harvest Issues
· · Management Team Issues
· · Fatal Flaw Issues
12:30 p.m.—2:00 p.m.
Keynote and Luncheon Featuring New Mexico Small Business Assistance Innovation Celebration Awards